- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (1 lb.) package mixed frozen
vegetables (carrots, beans, corn, and
- 3 ribs celery, chopped, including tops
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can beef broth (or 3 beef
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 envelope dry onion soup mix
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 c. barley
- 1/2 t. freshly ground pepper
- 2 T. fresh oregano, chopped (or 1/2 t.
- 2 T. fresh basil, chopped (or 1/2 t.
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1/2 t. dried
- 1/2 t. paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 T. seasoned salt
- 1 T. soy sauce
- 1/2 c. fresh, chopped parsley (or 2 T.
- 1 (7 oz.) package small
alphabet-shaped pasta (can substitute
other small pasta like orzo, shells, or
macaroni, if desired)
Brown the ground beef in a frying pan. Drain
off the fat. You can reduce fat
content even further by placing the beef in a
colander and running hot water
over it. Put the beef and all ingredients except
the alphabet pasta into the
crockpot. Add water to within 1 inch of the top of
the crockpot. Cook on
high for 8 hours. 15 minutes before serving, add
the alphabet pasta to the
crockpot and continue cooking until pasta is done.
Serve with fresh, soft rolls.